The Brookings Convention & Visitors Bureau, along with local attractions, businesses, and organizations are planning four full days of winter activities for the 6th Annual Frost Fest. This year’s event will take place Thursday through Sunday, February 13-16, 2020 at various indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Brookings community. Many of the events are offered at no or low cost.
Frost Fest is adding a variety of new events to celebrate the season and embrace the chill. An indoor winter extravaganza, featuring bouncy houses, glow-in-the-dark dodgeball, and a wide variety of interactive inflatables will take place at the Swiftel Center, with a portion of proceeds benefitting the Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Plains. The Brookings Arts Council is introducing a couple’s date night of dessert and painting. Downtown Brookings is offering a few ways to embrace your cozy side with Hygge Night. Café Coteau is hosting an evening of international flair with Persian Night. And the Brookings County Outdoor Adventure Center is opening both ranges free of charge for a parent/child day date.
Frost Fest is held annually on the third weekend in February and is made possible by the following partners: Brookings Arts Council, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Brookings Farmers Market, Children’s Museum of South Dakota, McCrory Gardens, Brookings Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department, Prairie Striders Running Club, Downtown Brookings, Brookings Cinema 8 Movie Theatre, Midwest Maidens Roller Derby, Brookings County Outdoor Adventure Center, Swiftel Center, Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Plains, Tee’d Off Golf Simulators, and the Brookings Convention & Visitors Bureau.
2020 FROST FEST SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- NEW in 2020 – Hygge Night in Downtown Brookings // 5 – 8 PM // Pronounced “Hoo-ga” – Hygge is a Danish word for happiness through being cozy and enjoying life’s little pleasures, which is exactly what to expect in Downtown Brookings. Several businesses will be offering unique ways to get cozy with friends and family. For a complete list of participating businesses and activities, check out downtownbrookings.com. (Free)
- NEW IN 2020 – Tee’d Off Golf Tournament // Thursday – Sunday // Keep your golf skills on point with this two-person scramble golf tournament at Tee’d Off Golf Simulators. This 9-hole tournament is for adults and youth with cash prizes and free simulator time. Call now to reserve your space! (Reservation Required)
- Snow Ball Dance // 6:30 - 8 PM // Get dressed up and enjoy a special night for children and their parent or special someone at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota. In addition to an open dance floor, we will have games and crafts. The museum exhibits will be closed, but the dance floor is open! (Admission $5)
- NEW in 2020 – Valentine’s Day Paint and Sip // 7 – 9 PM // Take date night out of the restaurant and onto the canvas at the Brookings Arts Council. Couples or friends will enjoy step-by-step instruction with many chances to change the work as you go. Participants will have the option to create one composition on two canvases. Dessert and drinks will be provided. (Registration $40)
- Plein Air Paint-In // 9 AM – 11 AM // Plein air painting is all about leaving the four walls of your studio behind and experiencing painting and drawing in raw form. Facilitated by the Brookings Arts Council, get inspired sitting next to a crackling fire in Larson Nature Center while gazing at the serene setting of Dakota Nature Park. Artists are encouraged to bring their own supplies. Works completed by the artist will be hung in the City of Brookings Government building following the event for the public to view. (Free)
- Ice Fishing Derby // 9 AM – 11 AM // Bring your family and your best fisherman to participate in the ice fishing derby at Dakota Nature Park. Stop into the Larson Nature Center to register for prizes, pick up a fishing pole (if needed) and head out to the ponds where bait will be provided. As weather permits, explore the park on snowshoes, which are available for free. The cross-country trails will be groomed, so feel free to bring your ski’s. Dress accordingly for snow, ice, and slush. (Free)
- Winter Farmers Market // 10 AM - 2 PM // Relive your summer Farmers Market days at the Winter Farmers Market at the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum. Enjoy a variety of local producers and crafters from the Brookings Farmers Market and Ag Museum. (Free)
- Frostbite Frolic // 11 AM – 1 PM // Hosted by Prairie Striders, Frostbite Frolic is a non-timed, social run around the trails of Innovation Village. Get a jump start on your running season and stretch those legs with as many laps as you can handle! A potluck begins at noon with the 2019 awards presentation to follow. (Free)
- Chili Feed // 11 AM - 1 PM // Warm up with hot chili and all the fixings at Bethel Baptist Church, plus a helping of cornbread for a free-will donation to the Midwest Maidens Roller Derby. This crew knows how to create a twist on a traditional cold-weather classic. Take a lunch break and help support the women of the local roller derby. (Free will donation)
- NEW in 2020 – Finding Frosty // 11 AM – 3 PM // Build an unconventional snowman in Downtown Brookings! Participants must find all the pieces needed to create Frosty by browsing through the various stores in downtown. Once you’ve collected all pieces, you’ll be entered into a prize drawing. Find the Frosty map and participating businesses at downtownbrookings.com. (Free)
- NEW in 2020 – Winter Extravaganza // 11 AM – 6 PM // Enjoy a summer-inspired inflatable event for all ages at the Swiftel Center. The Winter Extravaganza is a collaborative event where a portion of the proceeds made will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Plains. Bring your friends for glow-in-the-dark dodgeball, over-sized obstacle courses, and all the interactive inflatables of your dreams. This event is for the entire family. (Admission rates apply to those participating. Ticket good for one day)
- Spend a Sweet Afternoon at McCrory Gardens // 1 – 4 PM // Spend a sweet afternoon at McCrory Gardens sampling sweet treats and maple syrup while learnig how honeybees are part of the sugary process. There will be additional games and programming for families and young kids. (UPDATE: There will be NO horse-drawn trolley rides)
- NEW in 2020 – Family Day Date // 3 – 5 PM // Explore your South Dakota side with a free open house at the Brookings County OAC ranges! Bring your little VIP and family to experience the archery and firearms range. All supplies will be provided, but feel free to bring your own bow or firearm. This is a great opportunity to explore the Outdoor Adventure Center and get comfortable with our great South Dakota pastime. (Free)
- NEW in 2020 – Café Coteau Persian Night // 5:30 – 7:30 PM // Enjoy an evening of fine dining and explore flavorful Persian cuisine at Café Coteau located at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota. Seating is limited and sells out quickly! Get your reservation today by calling 605-692-6700, ext. 1. (SOLD OUT)
- NEW in 2020 – Winter Extravaganza // 11 AM – 6 PM // Enjoy a summer-inspired inflatable event for all ages at the Swiftel Center. The Winter Extravaganza is a collaborative event where a portion of the proceeds made will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Plains. Bring your friends for glow-in-the-dark dodgeball, over-sized obstacle courses, and all the interactive inflatables of your dreams. This event is for the entire family. (Admission rates apply to those participating. Ticket good for one day.)
- Movie Matinee // 1 – 4 PM // Take in a matinee movie with the family and share your kindness with the Brookings Food Pantry. The theatre will offer $5 admission with the donation of a non-perishable or canned good item as part of Frost Fest. Don't forget to grab some popcorn and snacks at the concession. ($5 Admission + Donation of Food Item)