No matter how you feel about winter, you can't deny the beauty and simplicity of a giant blanket of white snow covering every inch of our world in Brookings.
By definition, winter is : the season between autumn and spring comprising in the northern hemisphere usually the months of December, January, and February or as reckoned astronomically extending from the December solstice to the March equinox. Or as many of us know it by, the colder half of the year.
The colder half of the year has arrived. But in Brookings, we don't let a simple definition define our daily lives. Love it or hate, winter forces us to slow down, take time to help others in need, and cuddle up close to the ones we love, for warmth obviously. Then there are the ones who will do anything for the perfect gram, and why not! The shimmer, the snowflakes, the sun peeking through the clouds and the way the snow collects on trees and evergreens. It really is a beautiful time of year if you give it a chance. Your followers will appreciate a new perspective.
For most of us, we've grown accustomed to what winter looks like, puffy coats, fuzzy blankets, hot cocoa, and lots of thick socks. Ceremoniously, the first snowstorm hits us like a game of dodgeball. We're out there with a broken shovel trying to shield ourselves from the bitter wind hitting us square in the face. Eventually, we get our bearings and find ways to enjoy the weather we receive just once a year. If you're still in the dodge ball phase, the list below will help you get back on top.
7 Ways to Enjoy Winter in Brookings
- Go sledding, duh!
- Try snow shoeing and cross country skiing at Dakota Nature Park (they have rentals available)
- Lace up a pair of ice skates and go round and round at Larson Ice Center
- Hot Yoga at Prairie Soul Yoga
- Make a pie with the right tools from Carrot Seed Kitchen Co.
- Get the gang together for an epic night of board games at Wooden Legs Brewing Co.
- Grab the team and put on your best impression of The Dude for bowling at Prairie Lanes