Celebrate the season and embrace the chill as numerous winter activities are sprinkled throughout the Brookings community for the 5th Annual Frost Fest.
Every third weekend in February, area attractions, businesses, and organizations come together as part of Frost Fest to showcase indoor and outdoor activities and things to do in the winter months. In 2019, events will begin on Monday, February 11th, and continue through the weekend. New events include a Kids Cookie Decorating Class at the Carrot Seed Kitchen Co. and fat-bike rides at Spoke-n-Sport in downtown Brookings. Several favorite activities will be returning, like the Ice Fishing Derby at Dakota Nature Park and the Snow Ball Dance at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota. In addition, Tee’d Off Golf Simulators is hosting Zombie Dodgeball every night of Frost Fest from 9:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Bring a team of two to three friends and enjoy a warm place and cold drinks.
Most events are free and open to the public, however some require pre-registration or a small admission fee.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- MONDAY | Frost Fest Cookie Make & Take // 6 - 7 PM & 7 - 8 PM @ The Carrot Seed Kitchen Company: Celebrate the season with make and take cookies from Staci of Fig Tales. Each child will receive three snowy cookies, icings, and a palette of sprinkles to create their own frosty cookies. ($15 per child)
- TUESDAY | Tuesday Night Bike Ride // 7:15 PM @ Spoke-n-Sport: Enjoy the cool breeze of winter while cruising on fat bikes at the Tuesday Night Bike Ride. All skill levels and ages are encouraged to give winter bicycling a try. Feel free to bring your own bike and wear appropriate winter riding gear. Fat bikes will be available for a test run at no charge. (Free Admission)
- FRIDAY | Snow Ball Dance // 6:30 - 8 PM @ The Children's Museum of South Dakota: Dress up and get down with music, activities, a photo booth and more! Parents and guardians, enjoy a fun date night out with your kiddos. ($5 Admission)
- FRIDAY - SATURDAY | Winter White Out Sale // @ Downtown Brookings: Our local boutiques and businesses in downtown Brookings are hosting a multi-day Winter White Out Sale Friday and Saturday. Enjoy hot deals on a cold day in downtown!
- Plein Air Paint In // 9 AM - 12 PM @ Larson Nature Center, facilitated by the Brookings Arts Council: Bring your paints and get inspired sitting next to a crackling fire while gazing at the serene setting of Dakota Nature Park. Artists are encouraged to bring their own supplies and expected to show off their works for a quick show as families flock to DNP for various other activities. (Free)
- Ice Fishing Derby // 10 AM - 1 PM @ Dakota Nature Park: Bring your family and your best fisherman to participate in the ice fishing derby. Basic fishing supplies will be offered if needed and staff will be on site for assistance. As weather permits, snowshoes, cross-country skiing, sledding, and other snowy activities will be available. (Free)
- Winter Farmers Market // 10 AM - 1 PM @ The South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum: Relive your summer Farmers Market days at the Winter Farmers Market at the Ag Museum. Enjoy a variety of local producers and crafters from the Brookings Farmers Market and Ag Museum. (Free Admission)
- Frostbite Frolic // 11 AM @ Innovation Village: Hosted by Prairie Striders, Frostbite Frolic is a non-timed, social run. Get a jumpstart on your running season and stretch those legs with as many laps as you can handle! A potluck begins at 12 PM with the 2018 awards presentation to follow.
- Chili Feed // 11 AM - 2 PM @ Bethel Baptist Church, hosted by the Midwest Maidens Roller Derby: Warm up with hot chili and all the fixings, plus a helping of cornbread for a free will donation. Take a lunch break and help support the women of the local roller derby. (Free will donation)
- Sap on Tap: The Story of McCrory Maple Syrup // 1 - 3 PM @ McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center: Experience the gardens in the winter and learn the story of Sap on Tap. Participants get an insiders experience about which trees produce syrup and how it’s made, while also sampling syrup for comparison. Connect with the crew to discover, learn, research and enjoy the plants and process at McCrory Gardens.
- Elsa & Olaf Meet & Greet // 1 PM - 3 PM @ Party Depot: Meet and greet your favorite characters from Frozen! Elsa and Olaf will be at Party Depot for hugs and photos in downtown Brookings. (Free)
SUNDAY | Movie Matinee + 1 canned good item for donation // @ Brookings Cinema 8 Movie Theatre: Take in a matinee movie with the family and share your kindness with the Brookings Food Pantry. The theatre will offer $5 admission with the donation of a canned good item as part of Frost Fest. Don't forget to grab some popcorn and snacks at the concession. ($5 Admission)