Children’s Museum of South Dakota
Due to the coronavirus, the Children’s Museum indoor exhibits will remain closed. However, the Outdoor Prairie is open for playtime! Be sure to check the Children’s Museum website for the latest hours and updates.
Rent the Outdoor Space!
Enjoy private playtime at the Children’s Museum of SD. Reservations can be made online and include the entire Outdoor Prairie. Catering can be made available through Cafe Coteau.
Located in the heart of downtown Brookings at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Kidoodle Way, the Children’s Museum of South Dakota (CMSD) is the only one of its kind in South Dakota to feature 44,000 square feet of indoor exhibit space and 4-acres of prairie. Welcoming more than half a million guests from every state in the U.S. and countries worldwide, the CMSD sparks imagination and learning for all children and grownups through play, creativity, and discovery. The museum was created from the Central Elementary School, originally built in 1936. Imagination runs wild inside, as well as outside where the only full size, permanent animatronic T. Rex, Mama, is on display with baby Max.
The Children’s Museum of South Dakota is also part of our Brookings Great 8 Passport program, encourging visitors and locals to explore our one-of-a-kind attractions.
Keep the meeting collaborative and lighthearted at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota.
This unique space offers an engaging experience for special occasions, birthday parties, business meetings and more. The unforgettable effect can be felt through the museums seven galleries packed with amazing interactive activities. The museum can accommodate groups of all sizes and kids of all ages. Turn the dial to cozy and just book one room or crank that thing to 11 and rent the entire museum! No need to worry, the staff at the museum could plan a party blindfolded, so be sure to take advantage of the many amenities offered for your special get-together.
Full Museum Rental
- Reserve the full museum after hours for a private play experience. This unique rental is great for employee appreciation events, corporate gatherings, or family reunions.
- 1,215 square feet
- Located on the second floor
- Accommodates groups of up to 72 people with round table seating or up to 100 people with classroom style seating
- Technology features include integrated sound system and audio conferencing, VCR/DVD unit, laptop interface, ceiling mounted projector and screen
- Two adjacent exterior balconies
Cafe Coteau + Patio
- 2,290 square feet
- The Pavilion can host a dinner for up to 120 people or provide a unique gathering space for a larger group.
Party on 1
- Party on 1 is conveniently located near the front desk and exhibit spaces on the first floor. Party on 1 is a great space for smaller family gatherings, private parties, and meetings.
- Reserve the outdoor prairie after hours for a private play experience.